Sunday, April 2, 2017

Cranberry Sauce Beyond Thanksgiving

I make fresh cranberry sauce every Thanksgiving. It's one of my favorite items on the table next to the mashed potatoes and sweet potato casserole. I continue to make it as long as I can find them in the stores and I put it on everything.

Low on cash, I'd been creatively coming up with meals with what was left in the freezer and cupboards. Items that had been overlooked so long they were nearing or past their prime.
While cleaning out anything frost bitten in the freezer,  I found a bag of cranberries from last Thanksgiving. Woohoo!
After weeding out the raisin impersonating cranberries, there was still enough for sauce. yay!
I normally just tweak the recipe on the bag. I use half the sugar than it calls for (1/2 cup), I like it tarter and I use raw sugar.
I don't use orange juice, just water. They don't need any more sugar and I'm not a fan of orange flavored cranberries. I then add a lot of cinnamon. Cinnamon, besides making it better, can also lower your blood sugar and is a anti-inflammatory. Cranberries are also anti-inflammatory and are packed with antioxidants. Does it cancel out the sugar...probably not, but at least it is partially healthy. Haha

For breakfast:
Oatmeal with turmeric, cinnamon & nutmeg and topped with Cranberry Sauce
I just sprinkle the spices in the water before I cook the oatmeal. Hmmm, maybe 1/4 tsp of each.
I use Bob Redmill gluten free oats.

Gluten Free Breakfast


For dinner:
Quinoa made with coconut milk and turmeric and topped with Cranberry Sauce.
Instead of cooking the quinoa in water, I use coconut milk and sprinkled turmeric (1/4 tsp) and black pepper in the coconut milk before I cook it. I use Trader Joe's organic tricolor quinoa.


Gluten Free meals

Next meal...add half a avocado, because avocado makes everything better.

Gluten Free Thanksgiving

Cranberries: Superfood
Packed with Antioxidants, Only blueberries have more. 
Anti-inflammatory 
Good source of Vitamin C

Rolled Oats: 
Antioxidants
Carbohydrate with a low fat, high fiber content

Quinoa : Superfood
Contains all nine of the essential amino acids making it a complete protein source
Twice the protein content of rice or barley
Calcium, B Vitamins, Iron and Fiber
Prebiotic
Gluten Free and the least allergies of all the grains

Turmeric & Black Pepper:
Black Pepper enhances the bioavailability and level of absorption of Turmeric Benefits
Antioxidant
Anti-Inflammatory
Antiseptic
Antifungal
Antibacterial

Cinnamon:
Antifungal
Antibactieria
Antivirus
Can reduce blood pressure
Can reduce insulin resistance

Avocado:
20 Vitamins and Minerals
Monounsaturated fatty acids







No comments:

Post a Comment