Saturday, January 19, 2013

Honey & Lemon = Softer & Lighter Hair



 I’m starting out year 3 of my quest to be less chemical. The most recent quest…hair.
I am a girly girl. I crave fashion, makeup and ever changing hair…or at least I did. In my 20’s there was a hair color change every month or so…I didn’t think about all my hair falling out or the constant chemical bombardment to my scalp and lungs. Weaning myself off the box wasn’t easy. I could have quit cold turkey, alas the silver slowly sneaking into my dark blonde hair was not very…well…pretty.  I discovered what the term “mousey” meant when I looked at my reflection. I tried the less chemical options and the natural ones from the health food store. But they still dried the crap out of my hair and scalp. By winter itchy dry scalp was out of control and I started applying Organic Virgin Coconut oil as a scalp and hair mask every 4 days or so. My hair started feeling thinker and shinier…hmmm.

Consulting the all knowing internet I searched for natural ways to highlight my hair or blend the now darker roots to the lighter color of my long hair. Lemon juice was the first experiment. Sure it works great in the summertime…but the overcast skies of winter…not so much. Plus it made my hair feel like straw. It needed moisture, not just highlights. Next concoction…Honey, Cinnamon and lemon juice.

I squeezed one fresh lemon, 2 spoonfuls of raw wildflower honey and a sprinkling of
Cinnamon. It smelled awesome, tasted great…..and eureka…it lightened my hair.

I mix it together in a bowl and brush it on my hair with a medium size paintbrush. I leave it on for an hour while I give myself a manicure. I wash it out with gentle natural shampoo and a tad conditioner on the ends. Shampoo isnt always needed but I'm a creature of habit. 

It wasn’t drastic. But it was noticeably shiny, lighter and softer than my hair has ever been. By the 4th application on week 2, it was one shade lighter. Raw Honey and Cinnamon have a hydrogen peroxide in them. Honey is also a moisturizer, and the honey and cinnamon are both antibacterial. This concoction eliminated my dandruff…not a flake, not a dry patch to be found. Frizz gone, dandruff gone, shiny hair, less obvious roots…what more could I ask for? Would it do the same for my skin?

I started brushing the mixture on my face, neck and upper chest as well when I did my hair. Hello! Sun spots, freckles, acne scars…all slowing fading with every application. The honey makes it baby smooth. I apply a few drops of Borage oil as an additional moisturizer for my cheeks which is also an anti-inflammatory, and keeps my sensitive skin calm. 

I’ve now done this for a month (about 3 times a week) and dry itchy scalp has not returned. My hair remains very soft and shiny despite winter (and my) attempt to destroy it. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Wander Girl

    Your hair looks really great in the picture above! I have just started using this natural method of trying to blend my darker roots into my lighter ends and have a similar hair colour and texture to yours. Are you still using the lemon, honey and cinnamon mix and is it still working for you? Have you needed to revert back to chemicals to lighten your roots yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been a bad blogger, apologies for the late response. I have not resorted back to the box! I also gave up shampoo and condioner about a year ago. I'm using coconut milk to cleanse and conditon and I'm pretty happy with my hair overall. I only do the honey concoction on occasion for highlights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you wet/wash your hair first??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not wet my hair but I did start rinsing it out in the shower after 20 minutes. It doesn't need to stay on as long as I used to leave it on. And the coconut milk has done wonders!

    ReplyDelete