Sunday, October 23, 2016

We're All Mad Here - Alice in Wonderland Office Halloween


Listening to Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Band on the record player. 
Autumn is upon me and as the cool weather sets in, I think about costumes for Halloween. In years past when I worked for a Bank, it became what can I get away with that falls under dress code AND a family atmosphere. There were a few themes when co-worker Andrea came on board with Batman and Robin and Alice in Wonderland. Whatever costume allows you to wear jeans to work was the “theme” prior to that. This entry will focus on Alice in Wonderland. 

Find Batman and Robin here:
   Holy DIY Batman

We combined DIY with store bought. I was Alice, Andrea was the Mad Hatter and a reluctant 
“but I wear my witches hat every year, its tradition”  Mandy was convinced to be the Cheshire Cat. 

 Alice in Wonderland costumes for work Halloween

I had a blue cotton dress I’d found at a cheap retail store years ago that I added a gauzy white shirt too by cutting off the back of the shirt to make it an apron.
The only thing I bought was black and white striped tights. I wore my teal stilettos instead of black Mary Janes.

Alice in Wonderland DIY costume for work Halloween 
I had a white rabbit stuffed animal, a survivor from the great stuffed animal purge of the early 1990s. With fabric straps I made him a waistcoat. I took apart a 1990s watch I found in my jewelry box and made him a pocket watch. The waistcoat is held on by another jewelry box find...those clips we wore in the 90s to cinch our dresses in the back. Why were we wearing our clothes so oversized?

 

Andrea found her costume online and I was jealous of her tiny hat. 

 

I made Mandy a tail from furry pink and purple boas I found at Hobby Lobby. I cut some of the ends and wrapped them around a headband that I had attached some wire cat ear shapes too.  We did her eyelids with turquoise liquid eyeliner to look like cat eyes. 

Cheshire Cat DIY costume Alice in Wonderland 

I made a Necklace for me and coordinating Pins for Andrea and Mandy in the Alice theme with mini apothecary bottles filled with blue liquid and Drink me labels I'd made. I used Listerine as the blue liquid. The other charms I found at Hobby Lobby.

Alice in wonderland DIY accessories 


 

Andrea made us Alice themed Nameplates and décor with her Cricut to switch out with our normal bank nameplates for the day. 


 

 

alice in wonderland costumes DIY Halloween work office 

“It’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.”
Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

 Alice in Wonderland theme costumes

“We're all mad here.”
Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland theme work office party 

The cat asked, “Where do you want to go?”
“I don’t know,” Alice answered.
“Then,” said the cat, “it really doesn’t matter, does it?”
Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland




No comments:

Post a Comment