Sunday, February 5, 2017

Gluten Free Baking without a Net




I've been craving chocolate chip cookies for maybe 30 years now. As soon as I finish my quinoa or healthy vegetarian what not, I want a cookie. 
My go to gluten free flour is almond but at the moment I'm out. The less used side of my upper cabinets contained small leftover amounts of coconut flour, GF blend flour and some GF rolled oats. Coconut flour works better combined with almond flour, as alone it tends to make cookies dry and crumbly...not my favorite cookie consistency. 
Eliminating the coconut left me with the blend and rolled oats. Oatmeal cookies it is! Oatmeal cookies go hand and hand with brown sugar which I also didn't have. Raw sugar will have to do. 
Normally I would consult the internet for recipes but 2017 is my year of trying new things. I know what cookies consist of, surely I can do this from scratch. I grabbed ingredients from the cupboard and fridge to add to the mixer while I wrote the amounts down in case it turned out awesome. Though I'm not a strict recipe follower, always write down your cooking experiments! I go by texture on cookie dough to know if my dry to wet ratio is right. 


Using my Kitchen aid mixer with the scraper attachment I added these ingredients in the following order:  

3 Tablespoons Grass-fed Butter (melted)
2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil (added to melted butter to liquify)
1/4 Cup Raw Sugar
2 Eggs
1/2 Tsp Vanilla
1/4 Cup Bob Mills GF Baking Flour
3/4 GF Rolled Oats
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
Saigon Cinnamon...just sprinkled some
1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips

Using an ice cream scoop to measure, I scooped out a few trial ones. I cooked them at 375 for 8 minutes. They were too cakey for me.  Because this was a small batch recipe, I realized 2 eggs was a mistake. They were not terrible but not something I was raving about. However, this would have made a great muffin, especially topped with cream cheese. 

Overdone

I put the rest of the dough in the refrigerator.  The next day, I tried again. Using an ice cream scoop, I put 4 cookies on the cookie sheet. I slightly mashed them down so they weren't balls. This time I put the heat between 350 and 375 and for about 6 minutes. 
I watched them and took them out a little underdone. Once they cooled, the texture was more how I like, a lot less cakey. The difference between the two minutes and refrigerating the dough was like two different recipes. 

Just Right

Don't let being out of certain ingredients stop you from baking. 
I eat eggs almost every day and run out quickly. But there are lots of egg alternatives, for instance, a ripe banana or apple sauce. Look at what you have and experiment. Below is a fascinating article on what different ingredients do in cookies, such as melting the butter first or adding brown sugar instead of white sugar. 









No comments:

Post a Comment